In the 1930s, Alfa Romeo still didn’t produce their own bodyworks, but they bought: In the case of the 6C 1750 GS, the body came from the coachbuilder Zagato. This turned out to be a good choice, because again Zagato did a great job with his distinctive design language. The four-meter-long car had two spare wheels that were stowed in a rear well. In the event of bad weather, a textile top offered emergency cover or protection against rain. A striking feature of this car was the removable red plastic covers on the three headlights, which were intended to improve the aerodynamics of the vehicle.
The 1750 GS was powered by a 6-cylinder in-line engine that Vitorio Jano, the brilliant chief engineer of Alfa Romeo, had developed. It generated a remarkable 85 hp at 4500 rpm. Several factory race cars had their cylinder heads welded (testa fissa) so that they could rev up to 5000 rpm, yielding a magnificent output of 102 hp. Whether equipped with 85 or 102 hp, the Gran Sport excelled. Owing to a low total weight of 920 kg and a reduced wheelbase of 2745 mm that improved its handling dramadically, the Gran Sport became the most famous Alfa Romeo of the time. Numerous important victories all over Europe, as in the 1930 and 1931 Mille Miglia and the wet race of the Irish Tourist Trophy — to name just a few — made it the undisputed dominator of that racing era. Only the rigorous endurance race of the 24 Hours of Le Mans proved to be too much for the 6C 1750 GS.
- Hand-assembled precision metal model with right-hand drive, built from 1,800 single parts, of which 1,311 are made of metal
- True-to-scale, authentic replication of the Spyder body customized by the renowned coachbuilder Zagato
- Metal framing of multiple body parts
- Highly detailed 6-cylinder in-line engine, complete with all aggregates, pipes and cabling in addition to a front-mounted Roots supercharger and accessories
- Distinctive Alfa Romeo front end with the famous triple-headlight unit.
- Headlights fitted with mesh guards against stone-chip damages. The red caps are removable
- Double-winged engine hood that opens to rest on metal studs
- Finely-woven metal grille to protect the radiator fins
- Windshield with a semi-fixed metal mounting-frame
- Functional doors mounted on finely-recreated hinges
- One lateral filler of the oil tank located within the cockpit, and one rear filler of the fuel tank made of stainless steel, each with a flip-open cap
- Luggage space with a functional lid behind the folded textile top
- Highly-detailed cockpit with upholstered leather seats and door trimmings
- Precise recreation of the dashboard with all instruments and controls
- Functional brackets for holding the two spare wheels. Loosening a tommy screw releases the spare wheels
- Perfectly-wired wheels with a light alloy rim, stainless steel spokes and nipples
- Unscrew the central locking nuts (with side-dependent right- and left-hand threads) to remove the wheels
- Elaborate undercarriage, which reveals a “cast metal” type of front/rear axles as well as the fine detailing of the mechanical brake riggings, leaf springs, and friction-shock absorbers, all being made of metal